Hershey Bears Alumni: John Dzikowski (1966-2006)

Hershey Bears of the past. A Blog devoted to the past players of the American Hockey Leagues Hershey Bears. Once a week a former Bear will be profiled. Learn about the individuals who made the Bears the greatest team in minor league hockey history.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

John Dzikowski (1966-2006)


Philadelphia Flyers 1984 draft pick John Dzikowski played a single season with the Hershey Bears in 1986-87. In 61 games he registered 13 goals and the same number of assists. The forward played both left wing and center coming out of junior hockey with the Brandon Wheat Kings (junior home of current Bears star Eric Fehr).
After additional stops in the IHL with the Kalamazoo K-Wings and then in the feldgling ECHL, Dzikowski retired from professional hockey. The Manitoba native worked as an engineer for McCains Food Canada and remained in the game by playing weekly and coaching.
On May 17, 2006 Dzikowski passed away as a result of diabetic shock.

3 Comments:

Blogger LINDA KIRTON said...

I am so pleased to see the profile picture and write-up of my brother John in the "Herhey Bears Alumni.". John certainly spoke very highly of the "Hershey Bears."I miss him tremendously and my heart swelled up with pride when I read the article.
Thank-you,
Linda Kirton (Manitoba, Canada)

8:54 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

I grew up with John and knew him since we were 5 years of age. When we were kids, John was something to see....he was a naturally gifted athlete. When he came home on the offseason, it wasn't his exploits on the professional sports level of which he spoke, instead he loved to reminisce about our times playing pickup baseball and street hockey as children into our young teen years.

Fact is, John just loved to play and that was when he was at his happiest. Those were good times.

10:32 PM

 
Blogger johnnyd said...

I had the pleasure of watching my Uncle John play while he was with the Hershey Bears many years ago against Baltimore. I was only a young girl. He roomed with John Stevens at that time. It was an incredible experience. He loved playing!!! I miss him dearly as he was only 7 years older than I was. We were very close like siblings. He taught me so much about hockey and in his later years when he was at home travelled to many games with me and became my off ice coach..lol. Hockey has never been the same since, I miss him everyday. He was a very special man. This article is nice to see. Thank you for acknowledging him.

Bobbi Kirton (Saskatchewan, Canada)

7:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home